Transferring Credit

students in Kiewit classroom

Transfer Credit Evaluation

Courses that have not been reviewed will be evaluated after a student is accepted for admission. Every effort is made to evaluate lower level transfer credit before the student attends New Student Enrollment.

Apply New Student Enrollment

Courses in certain departments, courses in your major, and upper level credit still need review by the department. You may need to provide course documents such as a detailed course outline.

Some courses have insufficient information available and may require course documents.

Credit from these institutions will need review. 

  • Institutions without regional accreditation
  • Most institutions outside the United States

Consult your academic advisor and be prepared to provide detailed course documents.

New Students Transferring Credit

Before credits can be reviewed for transfer, we need you to apply for admission. Refer to the Apply page for the appropriate application and instructions. Steps generally include:

  1. Apply for admission
  2. Pay the application fee
  3. Submit official transcripts and score reports for review
  4. Apply for scholarships and honors programs

New Students Transferring to UNL with a Bachelor’s, Associate of Arts, or Associate of Science Degree

Effective in Summer 2024, if you have already received either a bachelor’s degree or an Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree from a regionally accredited institution and are applying to UNL for additional undergraduate study, you will be considered to have fulfilled your lower division general education (ACE) requirements. You will still need to complete any upper division general education requirements in your program of study, and other requirements stated in UNL’s undergraduate catalog.

Your academic advisor will provide you with information applicable to your chosen program of study.

Reverse Transfer to your Community College

If you are a new student applying to UNL with 15 or more transferrable semester credits from a community or tribal college in Nebraska or from Iowa Western Community College, you may be able to complete your Associate of Arts or Associate of Sciences degree after acquiring the appropriate credits at UNL. This process, known as Reverse Transfer, is possible through UNL’s partnership with these community and tribal colleges to support you in completion of this credential. If you are eligible for this program, you will be notified in MyRed of your eligibility and sent information on how to initiate the transfer process. 

An advisor at your community college will be able to assist you in finding appropriate university level coursework to complete their degree requirements. Once that coursework is completed, you will send your UNL transcript to your community college and your UNL credits will be transferred to your community college in fulfillment of your associate degree.

Current Students Transferring Credit

Current students wishing to take a transfer course should

  • Check with your academic advisor to make sure the course will apply to your degree
  • Consult the Course Equivalency List to see whether the course has been reviewed. If it has not been evaluated, contact your advisor for pre-approval.
  • If you plan to study outside the US, contact the Global Experiences Office

It is the responsibility of the student to

  • Ensure that all final transcripts and score reports have been sent to UNL

Office of Admissions
1410 Q Street
Lincoln NE 68588-0417

  • Provide course details if necessary for evaluation
  • Consult with an academic advisor to make sure transfer credit has been applied to your degree
  • Read and understand the UNL degree audit
  • Consult academic advisor for assistance with evaluation of credit from international colleges and universities or US institutions without regional accreditation

International Students Transferring Credit

There is a wide variety of educational systems in the global community. Courses from some institutions outside the US have been reviewed. All others must be evaluated before they are accepted for credit. Consult your academic advisor.