Our team facilitates the evaluation of transfer courses, including international and military courses, and credit by exam once students are admitted to UNL. We can answer transfer credit questions and connect you to resources on campus.

transfer coordinator


Nicolette Brenton

Course Transfer Credit FAQ

What if my school is not listed in the course equivalency list?

The transfer equivalency lists only show courses that have undergone a formal evaluation. We accept credits from regionally accredited colleges and universities. Your lower division transfer credit will be evaluated once you are admitted. Your UNL college will determine how the credit is applied to your degree.

What is ACE?

Achievement Centered Education (ACE) was implemented at Nebraska in the fall of 2009. It is a 30 semester credit general education program. Students may complete 9 of the 10 requirements through transfer courses. Learn more about the program at ace.unl.edu/courses

Will my associate degree fulfill my ACE requirements?

If you are admitted to UNL with an Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree from a regionally accredited institution, you will have fulfilled UNL's lower-division general education requirements. You must still complete any upper-division general education requirements (e.g., ACE 10), general education requirements within your program of study, and any required prerequisites, or other requirements stated in UNL's Undergraduate Catalog.

Can I finish my associate degree after I’m admitted to UNL?

Perhaps. UNL participates in a “Reverse Transfer” process that may enable you to complete your AA or AS degree once you have completed the required credits at UNL. If you are eligible, you should receive a message in your portal with a link that will help you initiate the reverse transfer process. A transfer specialist at your community college will be able to provide information specific to your associate degree’s program of study.

What happens to my GPA from my previous school?

Transfer Grades become part of your UNL GPA if the courses were taken at the University of Nebraska-Omaha or the University of Nebraska-Kearney. Grades from other schools are reviewed for acceptance but are not included in your final grade point average.

Can transfer students participate in the Honors Program?

Yes. Transfer students fill out a special application and the review of their credentials focuses on their performance in college courses rather than their high school record or ACT/SAT scores. Find more information on the Honors Program website. Transfer students meet with the Program director to agree on program requirements the student will be required to fulfill to graduate from Nebraska Honors.

The Honors Program will accept honors credits earned at other institutions and will apply them to the student's honors obligation at UNL.

Do transfer students pay the enrollment deposit?

Yes, all admitted transfer students are required to pay the enrollment deposit. Students do not receive New Student Enrollment or housing information until the deposit is paid. The deposit deadline for the spring semester (January) is December 1 and the deadline for summer/fall semester is May 1.

After I'm admitted, how do I sign up for classes?

All incoming students are required to participate in our New Student Enrollment program (NSE). Transfer students will be sent information from NSE after they have submitted their enrollment deposit. Special days are designated for transfer students admitted for the summer/fall terms from March - July, and for students admitted for the spring term from October - December.

Are placement exams required at Nebraska?

Placement exams give your academic advisor an idea of your current academic level to help determine what classes are appropriate for you to take. You will be asked to take the Math Placement Exam unless you have completed Calculus II with a C or better.

The most common placement exams taken by students at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln (UNL) are:

Where can I find the Undergraduate Catalog?

The Undergraduate Catalog, found online, contains information about all programs of undergraduate study offered at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.

Does Nebraska offer online courses or a full degree online?

Nebraska offers online education options. You need to be admitted to UNL to take online courses. Learn more about undergraduate admissions.

Will I get credit for my military service, courses, and experience?

Your military service will be awarded 1 credit of military science for every three months of active duty up to a total of four credits. Credit for additional military training, experience and/or coursework documented on an official military transcript (Joint Services Transcript) may be awarded, up to a combined total of 15 credit hours. Your academic advisor will help you determine whether the credit can be applied to your program of study.