Types of Credit

Types Of Credit

Advanced Placement (AP) Program

The University of Nebraska-Lincoln offers Advanced Placement Test credit without additional charge for certain tests administered through the College Board. The current University policies regarding specific subject areas accepted and scores required are in the table below.  Subject areas accepted and scores required are subject to change.

Students are not eligible to receive AP credit for courses in which they are dual-enrolled for college credit.

Students must have official copies of their scores submitted to the Office of Admissions by the College Board in order for credit to be awarded.

To obtain copies of official grade reports, you can contact College Board directly at (888) CALL-4-AP.

While every effort is made to keep this list up-to-date, courses may be added or deleted at any time. For further information about the University of Nebraska-Lincoln Advanced Placement (AP) Program, please contact the Office of Admissions via e-mail at admissions@unl.edu, or call our office at (800)742-8800, ext. 2023.

AP Credit Evaluation Table

College Level Exam Program (CLEP)

The University of Nebraska-Lincoln offers students several avenues through which to earn college credit by examination. The programs include the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) and Distance Education Program; the Credit by Examination Program offered by various departments at NEBRASKA; and the Advanced Placement Program of the College Entrance Examination Board (CEEB), administered by the Office of Admissions.

Examinations for credit through University departments may be taken only by students currently enrolled at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.

Students may take Advanced Placement Examinations or CLEP before they are enrolled, but they receive credit only when enrolled at Nebraska.

Students applying for admission who have already earned CLEP credit should request that an official copy of their scores is sent to the Office of Admissions at this address. In addition to the cost of taking CLEP examinations, payment for recording hours earned through CLEP shall be assessed at the rate of one-half resident tuition rate per credit hour.

Examinations for credit through University departments may be taken only by students currently enrolled at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.

For more information, visit the CLEP website

CLEP Subject Examinations Table

International Baccalaureate (IB) Course Credit

Benefits at Nebraska

The majority of new students with an IB Diploma earn an average of 25 to 28 university credits at UNL, including 3 hours of credit in Philosophy for completing the Theory of Knowledge course. The specific number of earned credits you receive from UNL will depend on your IB course performance. The University awards credit without additional charge in most IB courses with scores of 5 and above.

The University of Nebraska-Lincoln cooperates with the International Baccalaureate Program in its curriculum and examinations program. The results of the IB Program are furnished to UNL at the request of participating students. Transfer credit can only be earned by examinations presented through higher level IB courses after the students have matriculated at Nebraska.

Credit Evaluation

Beginning Fall 2017, the IB Diploma will no longer be required to earn credit for the Standard Level exams.

IB Credit Evaluation Table

Military Credit

Many UNL students have some connection to the military, whether they are currently serving or their service is complete. Some serve in the United States Army, Air Force, Marines, Navy, or Coast Guard. Others serve in the National Guard or Reserves. Others are spouses or children of military or veterans. Your experience may be different from that of other students, but we value your presence and thank you for your service.

Consult your academic advisor about how credit from the US military will apply to your degree. If you need further assistance to have military courses evaluated for academic credit contact Transfer Coordinator JoAnn Moseman.

General Education (ACE) Credit for Military Experience — You may be able to fulfill general education outcome ACE 8 or ACE 9 by writing a short essay describing how your experience fulfills the outcome. Keep in mind that you must document at least 9 months of active duty service. See your academic advisor or Transfer Coordinator JoAnn Moseman for more information.

Submit official transcripts to the University of Nebraska-Lincoln to have military credit considered:

Credits for Active Duty

You will be awarded 1 credit of military science for every 3 months of active duty up to a total of 4 credits:

  • Submit a DD-214 to add this credit to your record.
  • All other military credit will be reviewed by your individual college upon admission.

Questions About Benefits?

Contact veterans information at 402.472.4130. Review the veterans resources website for more information.